Monday, September 15, 2008

Grey's Special Ingedient Carrot Raisin Salad

7 medium carrots
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Soak the raisins in warm water. Peel and grate the carrots and put into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper until smooth. Drain the raisins and mix into the carrots. Mix in the mayonnaise dressing and serve chilled.

This is best if it has a while to chill before serving. It is also great with a splash of lime juice.

One day I was making a plain ol' carrot raisin salad with the help of my boy Grey. He was sitting on the counter looking through the spices and mentioned that my salad need a special ingredient. I cautiously enquired which ingredient he thought I should add. He handed me the bottle of chili powder, and being in an indulgent mood, I sprinkled in a tiny bit, thinking it wouldn't make any difference. It was really good. So good I don't ever make the plain ol' version anymore. Thank you Grey!

No comments: